Wednesday, April 18, 2007

well, double poop






See this? this is what an unripe durian looks like. yes he was green as all get-out, and when i cut him open, there was NO stink and his little seedy poddy pulpy things were all solid and not custardy at all like they are supposed to be. i hate to pass on this disappointing turn of events, but there it is. i don't think he ever would have gotten ripe. i think they have to ripen on the tree. can anyone help me with that? they say that no two durians are alike, and i still intend to get a ripe one... someday. *sigh*. there is a thai restaurant (the Garden Snack Club, incidentally) that purports to sell durian ice cream, but they were out the day i went. the durian gods hate me.


it's still rainy here. if this keeps up i'm going to have to go to the other side of the island for some sunshine. i'm getting pasty again! i'm kind of scared of becoming one of the Leather People, but i also don't want to look like the inside of that durian. if i take a road trip i'll be sure and get plenty of pictures for you all.


what else have i got for you? not much. oh here's a fun story about things proceeding slowly here on the island: i took the jeep in b/c there is a recall on the catalytic converter. remember i had to wait 2 weeks for them to see me? okay. so monday i went, and the letter i got about the service said it would take 1-2 hours, so i chose to wait around for them to finish. BIG MISTAKE! Seven hours later, they told me it was finished, and i was like, yay new catalytic converter for free, and they were like, no we just looked at it and determined that the part does need to be replaced. (hello, there was a recall.) THEN they tell me that Daimler-Chrysler, in an attempt to keep dealers from hoarding the parts, only lets them order one a week. (??!?) and they have a waiting list already. I'm #4 on the list. therefore, they can *order* the part for me in 4 weeks. then when it comes in, they MAIL me a notice and i call them for an appointment (another two weeks, i'd imagine). Somebody please tell Elbert how much i am missing him right now!!!
*****(okay, here we go again with the blog not letting me make a new paragraph. chris b, help me out here, why does this happen?)*****
in happier news, i figured out an easy recipe for a mai-tai facsimile without all the fancy complicated ingredients. yes these two events were directly related.


big birthday shout-outs to kressy and dorothy! happy birthday, ladies. hope you had lovely celebrations.
aloha!

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Too bad about the stank-fruit. I was thinkin of you when I saw the bin full of durians at the asian market on Monday. I tried to see if there was a cloud of funkiness around them, but I didn't detect anything.

I'm not sure about your paragraph issues... you might try using some little html taggy kinda things, like a p inside of a < and a >. (I can't type it the regular way here, or I think it'll just get read as html.) That's the sign for a new paragraph I think.

kirsten said...

thanks, puddin! i'll try that. say, how much are durians runnin' in Philly? maybe i'll come there and have one.

xo
k