Sunday, February 3, 2008

yikes with the rain


this is the Wailuku River a few blocks down from my house. The first picture was taken yesterday from the upriver (flat) bridge, the second I took last April from the downriver (arched) bridge.

that means, dear readers, that the rock ledge you see on the left in the April picture (which includes Maui's Canoe) is the shelf of the big flat honkin waterfall on the right yesterday's picture.

yes, i know you can't have a rainforest without the rain, and i love my rainforest. but an inch of rain an hour for five days in a row is getting a little much for this sun-worshipper to take. i was gonna head over to Kona, but the stupid roads are flooded. i think there's a flash-flood watch on all the islands. Rain is a lot messier than snow, btw.

so it's just me and the doodle and the 'Watch Now' option on Netflix. I very much enjoyed Robert Rodriguez's segment of Grindhouse ("Planet Terror"). Didn't dig Tarantino's so much. I watched my first Fassbinder film, which I see was an influence on Hedwig. Madame Bovary translated to film much better than Anna Karenina. Factory Girl was better than I thought it would be but not exactly good. I can watch no more! Today I'm going out to get soaked and run my little errands. I'm getting a baskin-robbins cake for Justin, whose birthday is on Valentine's Day but he's going to Australia for three weeks on Tuesday. (we love a birthday at work and being gone is no excuse for no celebration.) so the mission is to turn the cake (roll-style) into a parasitized caterpillar, cause that's his thing. pictures to follow!

No comments: