Monday, February 18, 2008

hawai'i says: when life gives you water, make waterfalls


well, i thought i'd go check out what all this water was doing to the lovely waterfalls in the Greater Hilo Metropolitan Area, and lo and behold, they were lovely. I've been to Rainbow Falls when it was a mere trickle, and this link has some interesting pix of it at the peak of our deluge. Today, though, it was Just Right.

I also had to pay a visit to the Boiling Pots and Pe'e Pe'e Falls (that's "peh-eh-peh-eh", now quit snickering. come visit and take pix of the street sign -- they omit the 'okina so it just reads Peepee Falls) and whatever the falls above Pe'e Pe'e are. Don't laugh, it's hard to keep up with the names here! Don't even get me started on beach names.

After the waterfalls I decided to check out Kaumana Cave, which I'd never visited before. I'm glad I did.
after all that, it was time to go shopping. i got my tax refund and, while i gots lots of bills to pay, i had to treat myself just a tiny bit -- I went bikini shopping. Look! it's a fleur-de-lis bikini! yes, i am still totally gay for nola and all things nola-esque, got stickers on my car, suitcase, &c. Anyway it was a red-letter day for bikinis -- I managed to get 2 and 1/2 of 'em, more than doubling my current repertoire! I didn't want to model them for you, tho, because doodle's not the only one that's not at bikini weight, ahem. luckily now that it has stopped raining, the fieldwork is jumpin' again, which means I'll drop a few pounds. i hope.

oh, and the muzak revolution is official -- i heard elvis costello at the Ross Dress For Less!

i'm going kona side tomorrow, dammit. i love the east side of this island, but i need me some Conde-Nast-Award-Winning-Beach-Action for my holiday. some powdery white sand. a mango smoothie. i may stop by mauna kea on the way home to play in the snow. i hope it's clear so i have lots of good pictures for you! I've decided that i need to work my way systematically through the beaches. what a chore. i need help. hint hint.

speaking of smoothies, i guess it might be a little early for some of you to be craving cool frosty snacks, but i stumbled upon a kickass smoothie combination today. i didn't have much so it was whatever i could scrounge up, and talk about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts! here goes:

handful of frozen banana slices (apple bananas were tasty but cavendish would be too)

handful of frozen seedless red grapes

1 container haupia (coconut) yogurt

splash of tamarind nectar (look in the mexican aisle, jumex makes it for 79 cents)

juice from a smallish knob of ginger

blend that sucka and enjoy!

happy president's day, and happy birthday to Mandy!

1 comment:

Chris said...

and how did you know i was snickering?