Wednesday, February 6, 2008

well okAY then.


so i'm sitting at work yesterday at about 3:00 when somebody says, "Hey, does anybody know who won the Superbowl?" nobody. that was in a roomful of girls. So I hollered the question to the boys, to the response "Who was playing?"

(An aside: We couldn't ask the interwebs because rain and lightning knocked out our connection and our phones.)

Y'all sports fans will call me a loser. but this truly is heaven. with maybe a little too much rain.

Aaaanywho. Look at this shiznit!!! Hilo hasn't had this much rain since 1969, the year I was born, strangely enough.... This photo remind you of anything? reminded me of something. on a smaller scale. and there's no hurricane. or levee. but still. it's kinda freaky. The boss brought in the newspaper with the rainfall amounts: almost 48 inches in 72 hours. An apartment building on the river (see: yesterday's pic) partially collapsed. Streams flowed through people's houses. One lady had to swim to the kennel she owns to free the dogs, whose kennels had 6 feet of water in them. good thing they all knew the doggie paddle.

Even the desert flooded. The Jeep has now been dubbed "Queen McSteam" because it has a leak somewhere and I have to keep bailing it out. I am white as a larva. Next year I'm going on vacation for the month of february. I mean, this is obviously an anomaly, but Feb. is one of the rainiest months here, historically speaking. of course, if rain/monsoons/hurricanes follow me wherever I go next February, I'm going back to Nawlins to get the juju offa me.

so i wussed out on justin's cake -- after slogging around in the rain for a few hours i lost my artistic motivation, so he just got a chocolate cake with little caterpillars and butterflies on it. i know i promised, but oh well. i do have this lovely photo of a mangosteen, though, to please your little eyeballs. Mangosteen is a fruit which complements the Doodle nicely:




the pics of the inside of the mangosteen aren't real pretty, cause i ate it about 2 days after its peak. i must confess that this is not my first mangosteen. the mangosteen, in case you haven't heard, is the "Queen of Fruits" (the king being the nasty ol' Durian) and the new pomegranate, or something. it's in expensive drinks and perfumes and seems to be the It Girl of the fruit scene right now. but my personal Fruit Monarch is the atemoya, which is huge and juicy and tastes like a pina colada. Mangosteens are good but they have this bitter chalky rind that holds about 3 grape-sized fruity things with big seeds inside. I think the seed-to-fruit ratio should be very small. who cares how good it tastes if it's full of annoying seeds?

wow, it's way past bedtime. just one more thing. anybody else think this is kindly racist? it's california rice, and i think somebody had to talk somebody else into removing the railroad from the background:


okay, hawaii out. special message for billy: HBD!!!!!!! hope you got my card in time.

aloha,
k

1 comment:

Chris said...

in an attempt to help you shake your juju, i have sent the good gris-gris your way. i shook a spider outta my broom and i wore a black cat bone (no offense, Doodle) 'round my neck while i did a dance under the moonlight that will surely make your days turn sunny. just a little long distance help for my Noo Ahh-leens girl.