Saturday, March 8, 2008

this genre needs a name.

or maybe it doesn't. Seems like all my mainland friends have been checking out Leslie and the Lys on tour. what a treat that would be. I don't know if I've explained the musical situation here to you good people. I'll save that for another post. Anyway, belle has a great leslie video posted, and Chris has some live shots. But here is Leslie's glorious tribute to the interwebs (second in my book only to Dave Chappelle's " The Internet skit):

Honky-hop? Whrap?

Sasha Frere-Jones had a semi-recent article in the New Yorker about the lack of black influence in indie rock/ emo/ etc. He noted that, while other styles of black music have historically been co-opted by white artists, rap will never be, because white people simply cannot do it. They can come close, like the Beastie Boys and Eminem, but it just isn't the same. Sure, you've got Buck 65 and Sage Francis and everybody tryin to keep it raaaael, but their rap is not the same animal as Missy Elliott's or Jay-z's or Juvenile's.

I personally find it much more enjoyable when white people just have a little fun with the fact that they Cannot Rap. That's what makes these videos so funny. It's like watching chickens fly.

Next up: I recently watched the "Mugging" episode of Flight of the Conchords:

but my favorite video of this genre has to go to my dear friend billy, with this classic shout-out to my old stompin' grounds, Carrboro.

2 comments:

Chris said...

i love the hip-hop-popotamus.

Unknown said...

You said it. leave it to the brothas.