Sunday, March 30, 2008

computer geeks + artists =


















http://www.complexification.net/

This is a lovely site where you can easily lose a few hours. Try it, you'll see what I mean. They did steal a page from my cousin sara's book -- she did a series of city traveler maps on translucent paper that, laid over each other, showed where she had traveled in new york in a given timeframe. it was somehow fascinating, and these folks have something conceptually similar, but much different visually. here's one of sara's mind-bogglingly detailed paintings:






sara's not a computer geek, by the way. she's old-school: paint, brush, canvas. i told you it was mind-boggling.

But. Back to the computer geeks. I think my favorites are "bubble chamber" (which, if you let it run long enough, creates a galactic, milky-way sort of image) and "box fitting"(which pixellates tornado photos into a sort of Klimt-like structured cubism), but i haven't looked at all of them, or even half. I actually stumbled across this site on a fascinating blog (you can find it here) that popped up in a google search for images of diatoms. how much do i love the interwebs??? THIS much!

(yes, it's overcast today with occasional showers. and yes i am a nerd. but you love it.)

1 comment:

Nuesa LiterĂ ria said...

Aloha!
Nice draws. I like arts too. And I like Hawai'i in spite I live in the other side of the earth.
Greetings from Barcelona!